Daily Current Affairs 8 January 2018: Your guide for daily General Knowledge Preparation
This post contains important current affairs of 8 January 2018. It includes all Major National, International, Business and Sports related current affairs of 8 January 2018. A brief explanation of every current affair is provided to further enhance your general knowledge. Once you have gone through these current affairs we would recommend to you to try 8 January 2018 Current affairs test.
1.Haryana to launch High Risk Pregnancy Portal.
- Haryana has become the first state to launch High Risk Pregnancy(HRP) Portal.
- This web application has been designed to track every high risk pregnant woman till 42 days after delivery so that she receives adequate treatment.
2.Indian Navy and Cochin Port Trust(CPT) signed MoU.
- The Indian Navy has inked an MoU with Cochin Port Trust(CPT), Kerala towards leasing of 228 meters of berths at Mattancherry Wharf for a period of 5 years.
- This is the first time such an agreement has been signed between Indian Navy and CPT.
3.FTII to be set up in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Jitendra Singh, Minister of State(I/C) of the ministry of Development of North-Eastern region, announced that Arunachal Pradesh will get Film and Television Institute of India(FTII).
- The first FTII was set up in Pune in 1960 having current Chairman as Anupam Kher.
4.Rs.32,000 cr Make in India Warship project cancelled by Govt.
- The project was aimed at constructing 12 advanced minesweeper warships in collaboration with South Korea at the Goa shipyard.
- The warships destroy underwater mines laid by enemy forces. Only four minesweeper are presently operating.
1.Dormant volcano located in Papua New Guinea erupts for the first time.
- This volcano is located on the Kadovar Island has erupted for the first time in the known history.
- 500-600 people inhabit this island. Now 60% of the island has been covered by lava and experts warned that tsunamis may be generated due to the explosive nature of the magma.
2.Russia is trying to influence Mexican presidential election: US NSA.
- US National Security Advisor HR McMaster said that Russian govt has launched a campaign to influence the Presidential Elections 2018.
- Russia has been earlier accused of influencing presidential elections in US and France.
3.Iran urged Muslim nations to unite to counter US’ divisive policy.
- Ali Shamkhani, the Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, urged Muslim nations to forge closer cooperation to counter US’ Dishonest and divisive policy.
- He also said that US’ national security strategy increases insecurity and instability in the world. Iran recently banned English in schools over fear of cultural invasion.
4.Palestine denies reinstating Pak envoy after recalling him.
- Palestine had recalled Walid Abu Ali over his presence at a rally organized by 26/11 mastermind and Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Saeed last month.
- Palestine had assured India that they would not engage with those who commit acts of terror against it.
1.Capital One’s CEO became billionaire as bank’s stock hit high.
- US banking firm Capital One’s CEO Richard Fairbank became billionaire with a fortune of about $1.1 billion after the bank’s stock hit record high.
- Fairbank is the fourth US bank CEO to become billionaire, according to Bloomberg.
2.Global debt is over 3 times the size of world economy.
- According to the Institute of International Finance, Global debt has hit an all time high in 3rd quarter of 2017, which is over three times the global economy.
- The UN calculates the global population at 7.6 billion, suggesting that the world’s per capita debt is over $30,000.
3.Yang Huiyan’s wealth increases by $2 billion in 4 days.
- She is the Vice Chairman of China’s real estate firm Country Garden and is controlling shareholder of Country Garden.
- According to Bloomberg, she is the richest woman and youngest billionaire while fifth richest person in the country.
1.Gilles Simon won Inaugural Tata Open Title.
- By defeating Kevin Anderson in the summit clash in Pune, Gilles Simon won the Inaugural Tata Open Maharashtra Tennis Trophy.
- Simon is ranked 89 in the world while Anderson is ranked 14.
2.Victoria Azarenka withdraws from Australian Open.
- Victoria Azarenka, 2-times Aus Open champion, withdraws from the 2018 edition of the Grand Slam.
- Recently, Serena Williams has also withdrawn from the Australian Open 2018 edition of the tournament.
3.ICC U-19 WC captains welcomed in New Zealand.
- The captains of the teams participating in ICC U-19 World Cup in New Zealand were welcomed with Haka, a traditional war dance in the Maori culture of New Zealand.
- India is in Group B along with Australia, Zimbabwe and Papua New Guinea.